I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Friday, September 29, 2006

A Christmas Devotional

Everybody who has ever written a book is excited about its release. I'm no exception. My latest book, "The Experience of Christmas," was released yesterday by Barbour Publishing. It might be a little early to be talking about Christmas, but it is my favorite time of the year, and I'm already beginning to think about it.

But as I said in the introduction of the book, "Every year the Christmas season seems to come and go more quickly. In spite of our best intentions and deepest longings, any hope of slowing down to enjoy the real meaning of the season fades with each pressing commitment." I got tired of that and I wanted more from the season.

Most years, I look for Christmas devotionals that might help me to focus on the important things of the holiday. Several years ago, I found a book I enjoy called "Love Came Down" that includes devotional writings from Anglican believers from the 1400's forward. It contains readings from December 1 through Epiphany on January 6. But other than this particular book, I haven't found a lot--especially from Protestantism. So I was grateful for the opportunity to write one myself.

The Experience of Christmas contains readings for every day in December. Each day is centered around one of seven topics (that are each covered once a week throughout the month of December): fulfilled prophecies about the coming Messiah, ways families can serve others at Christmas, the meaning behind Christmas symbols and traditions, the meaning of the names of the Messiah, what Christmas worship looked like in the Scriptures, ways to share the Christmas experience, and family prayers that use the ACTS prayers model. Each day not only contains a reading, but also suggested prayers, Christmas carols that are tied into that particular devotion, and family discussion questions and activities.

I'm hoping that families will use this book around the dinner table each night during the month of December. I'd love to hear stories of children being engrossed in the Christmas story, and desiring to live the Christmas experience. And I'd love to hear stories of families drinking deeper of the things of Christ this Christmas season.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...