I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Little Nuisances

Sometimes people call this blog "Little Nuisances" by mistake, which is both funny and maybe a little prophetic. But for today, we'll go with little nuisances in honor of what happened to me yesterday.

I have big feet. Size 13 or 14, depending up on the shoe. Which means I have big slippers and the first thing I do when I get out of bed in the morning is to slide my feet into those slippers because I don't walk anywhere barefooted. I don't even like to take two steps to get into the shower in my bare feet, but I haven't figured out a better way to do it yet. Anyway, one of my worst nightmares was realized when I got up yesterday and slid my feet into my slippers. The one on my left foot didn't quite fit right. And then I felt it. Something moved inside my slipper and it wasn't one of my toes.

You know that moment in between realization and action--how it seems to last for eternity? Double it and you'll have an idea about the way I felt at the time. I couldn't get my slipper off fast enough. When I did, a cricket crawled out, seeming to be none the worse for the wear, although I have no idea how that was possible. Grossed out before I even had my eyes fully open, I walked into the bathroom and pulled back the shower curtain to turn on the water. A spider fell from the curtain and I couldn't find him. I'm not one who is normally freaked out over bugs, but I also don't want them on me--certainly not a spider. I finally found him and squished him and then I was on alert the rest of the day. Thankfully I had no more runs ins with nature.

We're headed for fall and it can't happen quickly enough for me. I can't wait to see the temperatures drop into the 50's and 60's. I can't wait for the first freeze so that I can stop sneezing my head off from all the pollen in the air. And I can't wait for all of these bugs to disappear.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...