I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Remember When We Used to "Call Time"?

Black Rotary Telephone
I read a scene in a novel over the weekend in which the protagonist is so lonely he decides to call time. Remember when we used to call time? I hadn't thought about that in probably 20 years until I read that scene.

Remember how you could call a specific prefix followed by any four numbers and still get the time lady? When I first learned this, I felt like I had discovered some grand secret.

The funny thing is, I can't really even remember why I used to call time. Why did we do that? Maybe we didn't trust our clocks. Maybe we didn't have as many clocks. We certainly weren't as technologically connected and therefore didn't have as many gadgets with the time on them. Whatever the reason, it was just part of our routine.

I did a search yesterday and discovered the service was discontinued three years ago. I also learned the system has been around since the 1930s.  Things change though, and even though I haven't used the service in ions, I'm still going to miss it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...