I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, August 02, 2012

St. James Winery Velvet Red

Apologies to my cat, Latte, who normally
proudly poses with the bottles of wine. I
was out of town when I took this photo.
How good can a bottle of wine be if you purchased it in a gas station out of a cooler that also contains energy drinks, bottled water and pop?

I was about to find out.

When I visited Missouri a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a bottle of St. James Winery Velvet Red, which advertises itself as sweet red wine, in Kingdom City. St. James is a local winery and I always enjoy trying something local whenever possible, but I was skeptical for a couple of reasons.

First, I bought it in the aforementioned gas station – the same place hot dogs have probably been rolling around on a metal rack for eight hours. Second, I don’t really trust wines with twist tops. I’ve never seen a bottle of expensive wine with a twist top. Of course, I haven’t really seen all that many bottles of wine since I’m new to the lifestyle, but something about a twist top just screams beginner. Maybe I just don’t like to be reminded that I’m a wine novice.

Velvet Red is advertised in the following way, “Tastes and smells like ripe, just picked Concord grapes. Velvet Red is fruity, sweet and velvety smooth.”

I have no earthly idea what a just picked Concord grape looks, tastes, or smells like, so that didn’t help me. I do agree that it is fruity and sweet. The velvety smooth part would probably be true if my palate wasn't changing. I used to prefer the sweetest red win possible. But now I prefer a semi-sweet or just a simple red table wine.

Given my changing taste, Velvet Red won’t make my favorites list. But that doesn’t mean it is bad – especially at $7.99 per bottle. I would buy it again if I were traveling through Missouri and I didn’t want to go out of my way to find something else.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...