I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Opening Day 2006

Today is Opening Day of the 2006 baseball season. I love Opening Day.

For me, baseball is one of the many little nuances of life that I enjoy. I've been a baseball fan since I was a young boy. My uncle, who used to live in Kansas City, got me hooked on the game and on the Royals. Whenever he would come to Omaha to visit us, he would always sneak away as game time approached so he could listen to it on the radio. I can't tell you how many times I went out on the front porch of my grandparent's house and listened to the game with him. He'd talk to the radio as if the Royals could hear his every word of instruction.

After one of his visits, I flipped on the radio at home to listen to the Royals and I haven't stopped listening to their games since. One year, many many years ago (1985), my Royals won the World Series. Since the early 90's they've been horrible. Last year, they posted their worst record in franchise history. They spent a little money during the off-season, so hopes are a little higher in Kansas City this year, but most fans have no illusions about us making a serious run. As much as I'd love to see one, I'm just happy that baseball is back.

I love the strategy of the game. I love to listen to the same announcers all summer long. I love going to the games and drinking in the ballpark atmosphere. I love watching the athletic plays. I love watching veterans who are barely hanging on, but not wanting to let go. I love watching rookies try to prove that they belong. And I love to watch veterans who play the game the way it was meant to be played (not many of those exist anymore).

Yes, it's Opening Day. And even a Royals fan can be optimistic on Opening Day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...