I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Friday, January 28, 2011

In Sickness and In Health

Steven Tyler in action (Photo: Daigo Oliva)
If you’ve been around church culture for a while, you’ve probably heard the phrase “that’ll preach,” which means the topic being discussed has a pertinent message that could be used in a sermon. I have adapted that phrase and in my mind whenever I see or hear something I want to blog about that I think will matter to somebody else, I think, “that’ll blog.”

A couple of nights ago, I had one of those moments while watching American Idol. You’ve probably already seen it or heard about it too. A contestant named Chris Medina told a story about how his fiancée, Juliana, was in a horrible car accident not long before their wedding date. Juliana barely survived the accident. She sustained a brain injury and she requires a lot of care, which Chris and Juliana’s mom provide.

So, Chris takes the stage to audition and a video clip plays, in which he says, “I was about to make vows, just two months from the accident – through thick and thin, ‘til death do us part, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse. What kind of guy would I be if I walked out when she needed me the most?”

That’ll blog.

That’ll preach too.

Chris killed it in his audition and the judges asked to meet Juliana. After Randy Jackson and Jennifer Lopez greeted her, Steven Tyler approached her in her wheelchair and shook her hand. “Hi girl. I just heard your fiancé sing and he’s so good,” he says to her. “You know ‘cause he sings to you all the time. I could tell.” Tyler leans over, kisses her on the cheek and continues, speaking directly into her ear, “Oh baby, that’s why he sings so good ‘cause he sings to you.”

Here’s the video:



It was a powerful and beautiful segment. I’m not sure how anybody could watch it and not shed tears. Chris made it through to Hollywood and we’ll see what happens next.

Through my own tears, I thought about the other families who were watching who have experienced something similar – maybe their loved one suffered a debilitating stroke or has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or is incapacitated for some other reason. Their stories will probably never make it on American Idol or even the local news. Steven Tyler will not knock on their doors and whisper something true and sweet to lift their spirits.

But we can.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...