I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Heidi Joy

The arts were meant to touch our souls. Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel has that effect on people. So do The Chronicles of Narnia and The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. Last night my soul was not only touched, but also massaged by vocalist Heidi Joy who performed her annual Christmas concert in my hometown.

She has a powerful, pure, smooth, operatic-style voice that simply captures listeners and she takes them with her on a journey—often leading to the heavenlies. Her rendition of Mark Lowry's Mary Did You Know? is so powerful that it's not possible for me to hear her sing it without getting tears in my eyes. It's that powerful for a number of reasons. The lyrics paint an incredible picture by asking questions like:

Did you know,
That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kissed your little baby,
You've kissed the face of God.

But great lyrics don't necessarily equate to great songs. Obviously the music itself is vitally important as well and just hearing the opening notes played on the piano gives me goose bumps. But you still need a great singer and Heidi is the epitome of greatness. She has spent so much time perfecting her voice, and maybe specifically that song, that there comes a point early on in the song when the listener isn't really hearing her anymore. Her voice is just the vehicle to transport the listener into the worship of the Most High God. And in that moment, she fades into the background. Her renditions of O Holy Night and Silent Night produce similar results.

If you are looking for a CD to help you celebrate the Christmas season, then pick up Heidi's "Holiday Joy" that's available on her website. It includes Mary Did You Know? I'm not affiliated in any way with her. I'm just a fan of her incredibly powerful music.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...