I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Better than a Hallelujah

Somewhere Down the RoadHas it really been seven years since Amy Grant’s last CD (not including specialty albums)? Checking my iTunes library confirms that she released “Simple Things” in 2003. Wow.

I downloaded her new album, “Somewhere Down the Road” on Tuesday morning before I took a walk. Within seconds, she had me teary-eyed with these lyrics from the first song on the CD, “Better than a Hallelujah”:

God loves a lullaby
In a mothers tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.
God loves the drunkards cry,
The soldiers plea not to let him die
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

I’m not a mother, a drunkard or a soldier, but I’m an uncle, a son, and a work in progress. So, I can relate.

As I mentioned in the comments at Sherry Meneley’s blog this morning, so much modern Christianity seems to be focused on the formal worship experience. Amy’s song is about the in-between, informal worship moments — and they look much different. They come in the middle of pain, and longing, and struggle. Sometimes they have words; sometimes they don’t. Either way, God knows and he hears.

Sherry Meneley put together a video for Grant’s song and I think it makes the song even better. The video was gaining quite a bit of attention on YouTube before EMI stepped in and had the video removed. Well, there’s good news, EMI has agreed to allow the video to go back up (read the whole story here).

And now, here is Sherry’s soul-stirring video:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...