I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Slow Walker

Photo: dospaz
I’ve never been the fastest walker. I’m probably a tick below average, but never slow enough to get in people’s way. That was my perception anyway. But that’s beginning to change.

A few days ago, I was leaving the grocery store and a woman on her cell phone was so close to me that I could hear the person on the other line. I got out of the way and the woman rushed by me.

Over the weekend, I was headed to a baseball clubhouse to interview a player, thinking I was walking by myself. I got the feeling someone was behind me, even though I couldn’t hear anything. I turned around in time to see the team mascot walking behind me – apparently tracing my steps. I shook my finger at him in mock anger. He spun around and pointed his blue lion head toward the sky as if to say he was innocent.

After church on Sunday, I walked out the doors, down the steps and headed for the parking lot. As I approached the lot a woman and two kids were right on my heels. I don’t know why they just didn’t go around this slow poke – they had plenty of room, but they stayed right behind me until I finally just stepped aside and let them pass.

I already had a complex about people walking behind me because I ruptured my Achilles tendon in 1997 and after my physical therapy was complete I was afraid someone would accidentally step on the back of my heel and re-rupture the tendon. After the events of the last few days, I really have a complex.

Maybe I should lose the complex and just pretend I’m out for a stroll like the guy in the photo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...