I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Saying Yes

I tend to say yes too often. Yes, I want to subscribe to that magazine. Yes, I'll take on the project at church. Yes, I can write that article for you in six minutes (well, that's a bit of an exaggeration). All the yeses lead to a lot of stresses. And they leave little time for relaxation.

A couple of weeks ago, I traded e-mails with a friend about a writer's group I've been a member of for the past year. It was renewal time and I decided to leave the group rather than stay a year longer than I probably should have. I always have this tendency to be committed to groups, and projects, and subscriptions, one year longer than I know I should. Schedules change. Priorities change. And life in general changes. So, I'm getting better at recognizing when to say yes and when to say no.

I have this thought that runs through my mind periodically. It goes something like this: Wouldn't it be nice to be "caught up" with everything? Wouldn't it be nice to have a squeaky clean house, all of my e-mail answered, all of my writing projects done way before deadline, and all of the many other little things that need to be done? I could call friends and talk as long as I wanted. I could read as many books as I wanted. I go could fishing. I could visit relatives I haven't seen in ages. I could just relax.

But if I spent every moment of my life doing the things I consider to be relaxing, I'm guessing that they'd lose their luster somehow. I guess I'm in search of what everybody else is—a balance between the necessary and the not so necessary. Sometimes it can be hard to find, can't it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...