I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pride and Prejudice

I watched Pride and Prejudice (the 2005 version that starred Keira Knightley) for the second time a couple of nights ago. I love the prim and properness depicted in the movie that was so prevalent in the culture of that day. But even in such a setting, humans still wounded each other greatly.

Mr. Darcy comes off early in the movie as a pompous, arrogant, rich, fool. Elizabeth doesn't come from money and people like Mr. Darcy are quick to remind her of the fact. She's just as quick to tell him what she thinks about him as well. But early on, it's plain to see that something is going on between them. They want to find reasons to dislike each other, but they both slowly come to terms with the idea that they ought to be together. But not before Elizabeth turns down Mr. Darcy's marriage proposal in a rather harsh manner. They both attempt to move on with life, but neither find it easy. Finally, we are treated with this final, rather impassioned plea, from Mr. Darcy to Elizabeth:

"I believe you spoke with my aunt last night and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still where they were last April [when she turned him down], tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If however, your feelings have changed, I would have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."

I wish I had sensed more of this passion from both characters throughout the movie. Honestly, I thought the way they both came to the understanding that they were supposed to be together wasn't done well enough. But maybe I need to go to the novel to get that. Or to the five hour, 1996 BBC version of the movie. Not long ago, a friend told me that I hadn't experienced this story unless I've seen the BBC movie version.

If you've seen both versions of the movie and read the novel, then tell me which version you liked best. Which one did the best job of letting us see what was going on inside Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth as they slowly moved toward the possibility of marriage?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...