I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Sold out

IMG00689 So, I’m minding my own business, driving down one of the major streets of my home town. I pull up to a stop light, glance over at the Walgreens sign and I see something that makes my heart flutter. Okay, not flutter, but I’m interested in what it has to say:

“Pilot G2 Pens 19 cents”

No way.

I look up again, and the sign has moved on to advertise notebooks or some other back to school special.

The light turns green and I punch the gas.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see it again: “Pilot G2 Pens 19 cents.”

No way. Those things normally cost $5.99 for a pack of four at Walgreens.

I arrive at my destination and forget all about the best pen sale ever.

Okay, probably not.

A couple of days later, I’m in that area of town. I drive by again and there it is. Same sign. So, I go in, prepared to buy 20 or so, fine point, blue ink, Pilot G2 pens. I go to the back-to-school aisle, 5A, and begin to skim.

Glue, nope.

Scissors, no.

Tape, rulers, pencils, highlighters, book covers.

No, no, no, no, no.

Wait a minute, where are the G2s?

Maybe they are in the “regular” office supply aisle.

I get there and see the aforementioned pack of four G2s for $5.99, but no 19 cent G2s. So I go up to the counter, the clerk points me back to aisle 5A, saying the G2s are back there.

I check it out again – and no, they aren’t there.

I find another clerk and ask her about the 19 cent G2s. Maybe I wasn’t specific enough with the first clerk.

“We’re out of those.”

“But your sign says . . .” I point rather weakly.

“Nope, we’re out of ‘em.” She walks away.

Disillusioned, I stumble to my car, pull out my Blackberry and snap a photo of the sign advertising G2s for 19 cents just to remind myself about the sale I missed out on .

But wait. There’s hope in the form of another Walgreens about a mile away.

Off I go.

I pull in, glance at the sign, hope begins to diminish. They have lots of items on sale, but no G2s that I can see.

I walk in, ask the clerk about the 19 cent G2s.

“Had them last week for 19 cents,” he says, “but we ran out.”

“Ohhhhhhhh.”

I couldn’t help but wonder if he pulled out his iPhone and tweeted about the delusional, older dude who came into the store solely to stock up on G2s.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...