I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

55 Quirky Questions for Readers: Part 2

circa 1885:  Walt Whitman (1819 - 1891) American poet, democrat and author.  (Photo by Edward Gooch/Edward Gooch/Getty Images)
Walt Whitman (1819 - 1891)
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

I generally only recommend books to people I know pretty well. If a book moves me or makes me think, and if I think it'll do the same for someone I know, then I recommend it. 

22. Favorite genre?

Contemporary fiction. I'm fascinated with the way modern characters deal with dilemmas. And I'm fascinated by the way they process life.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)

History.

24. Favorite biography?

Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God (The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest)

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

Probably not, although the 4,000 Questions for Getting to Know Anyone and Everyone book by Barbara Ann Kipfer I'm using for the 4,000 Questions series is considered "self-help." 

26. Favorite cookbook?

What's a cookbook? 

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or nonfiction)?

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller. 

28. Favorite reading snack?

I rarely snack while reading. Hate to get the pages (or Kindle) dirty. 

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

Can't think of any. 

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

I rarely read book reviews. 

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

I'm not a book review person. I rarely read or write them.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?

French. 

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?

Night by Elie Wiesel. Wasn't sure my stomach could handle the horrors he faced. 

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Boenhoffer.

35. Favorite poet?


I don't have one. Although, if you made me pick one, I'd probably say Walt Whitman. 

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?

I rarely check books out of the library. Did so for a literature group I was part of a few years ago. We read a few plays, poems and various other forms of prose. Haven't used the library since.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?

Given how infrequently I use it, never. 

38. Favorite fictional character?

Tough one. Probably Father Tim from the Jan Karon's Mitford Series. But there are a bunch of others, including: Natalie Pasternak from Nancy Moser's Mustard Seed Series, Frank Bascombe from Richard Ford's trilogy and Ben Payne from Charles Martin's The Mountain Between Us is moving up my charts.

39. Favorite fictional villain?

I'm not a fan of villains, although they are necessary. Don't have a favorite. 

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?

Novels. I rarely read non-fiction on vacation or on the road. It requires a different way of processing for me and I don't do it well on vacation. 

Part 3 coming tomorrow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...