I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Yellow Tail Sweet Red Roo Wine

My cat Latte, posing with a bottle of
Yellow Tail Sweet Red Roo
I poured a glass of Yellow Tail Sweet Red Roo wine to enjoy with an episode of Friday Night Lights (FNL) from Season 3 called, “How the Other Half Lives,” which seemed fitting, given that I was drinking a bottle of wine that only cost $5.99.

I’m working my way through FNL for the second time and I’m realizing, as I always do when I see a movie or television series for the second time, that I missed so much the first time.

I don’t remember Landry and Tyra breaking up before the season started, and I certainly don’t remember either character not giving a reason, but it feels totally unsatisfying. As viewers, we’ve been through too much with them without being given an explanation for their break up.

I don’t remember Lyla completely abandoning her newfound Christian faith from Season 2 without any explanation. She simply slips back into her old ways without any apparent thought or struggle. That’s disconcerting and it leaves viewers wondering who she is and what she believes.

In fairness to the show, Season 2 was supposed to be longer, but it was cut short. So, at the beginning of Season 3, the writers were left to fill in the gaps. Unfortunately, they didn’t do it well enough to be convincing.

As a viewer who is willing to get lost in the fictional world of Dillon, Texas, I am being jarred out of that world, wondering why the writers didn’t create enough convincing backstory before moving on.

As I sipped my glass of Yellow Tail Sweet Red Roo wine, it tasted a lot like the unsatisfying gaps between Seasons 2 and 3 of FNL. Something just seemed off.

Yellow Tail had good intentions, trying to capture a piece of the growing market that favors red wine. According to Nielsen data, “the sweet wine category has seen a 246 percent increase in dollar value sales in 2011 versus the previous year and IRI Syndicated reported more than half a million cases of sweet red wine were sold in the U.S. in 2011.”

The problem is the back of the bottle doesn’t tell the entire story. Yellow Tail packaging says the wine’s flavors are “sweet red berries, vanilla & chocolate.” With the first sip, I knew it was a blended wine. My mouth was confused though. The back of the bottle did not mention any blends. But the wine was both sweet and dry.

That sent me to Google where I learned that it is a blend of “Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, and other red varietals.” I’m not a wine expert. I don’t even play one on the Internet. But why in the world would someone who wants a sweet red wine want a blend that includes dry wines such as Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz?

Maybe this wine is for real wine drinkers and that’s why I don’t like it. But if it is supposed to be sweet, then it needs to be sweet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...