I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Writer's Conference

In March, I told you that I’ll be on-staff at the Glorieta Christian Writer’s Conference in Glorieta, New Mexico in October. I’ll be teaching a class about advanced blogging. And I’ll be leading three “Meet-the-Pro” roundtable discussions about (1) freelancing for small local newspapers (2) starting and maintaing a blog, and (3) writing for the Christian sports market.

For those who are interested in writing, and I hear from many of you, this is an outstanding conference to attend. I wouldn’t have been able to establish the connections that I currently have in the publishing world if I hadn’t started attending writers’ conferences in 2000.

If you check out the Glorieta website, you’ll see that 32 editors and agents are scheduled to be at the conference. And you’ll see that 50 professional writers and other experts will be there as well. All of these people are going to be available for one-on-one appointments with conferees. In addition to formal appointments, many of these people will be available during meals and at various other gatherings. And in some form or fashion, all of these people will be teaching classes or leading discussions about the publishing world.

In today’s publishing world, more and more book publishing companies are closing the doors to unsolicited manuscripts. But if you meet these editors at a conference and pitch an idea to them that they like, they may invite you to send it to them—in which case, your matierial is not considered unsolicited. And you won’t find a better opportunity to approach magazine editors with multiple aritlce ideas. Finally, with so many professional writers on-staff, you’ll have a chance to pick their brains.

On the first day of the conference, the entire staff will walk up on stage and give a brief 30–second bio about his or her publishing company, magazine, or level of expertise. This gives conferees a chance to jot down notes about the people they want to meet with during the conference. You can also find information about each staff member on the Glorieta website.

If you’ve been thinking about writing for publication, but you aren’t sure where to start, then this conference, or another one like it, is the answer. Here’s a link to the registration form for Glorieta. I’d love to see a couple of you there.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...