I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Magical Moments

Once in a great while, you get a glimpse into a magical moment in life and your soul smiles. That's what happened to me the other day when I opened an envelope my sister sent to me from St. Louis. Here's what I found inside:


The cute little two-year old in the picture is my niece. The man holding my niece is my brother. Do you see the DVD my niece is holding? I made and sent it to my family for a Christmas gift. It includes photos and videos of my dad. He died in 2000 and I've been wanting to do something for quite a while to preserve his memory for the next generation.
My niece was born four years after my dad died, so she never got to experience his laughter. She never got to see him doing the things he loved to do--play golf, work on computers, and, ironically, take photographs. But the DVD will give her a small piece of him. And seeing her hold the DVD was perfectly symbolic of what I was hoping for when I made it. Generations who will never know each other personally were connected for one brief moment.
Obviously, my niece is way too young to comprehend all of this and she might very well have been picking up the DVD to stick in her mouth for a good chewing session. But that doesn't change the fact that I'll always have this one moment captured on film.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...