I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Life is in the Details

Some say that the devil is in the details. To some degree I understand what they are saying. The many small details involved in a process often are more complicated than originally expected. But, I tend to see life in the details.

Yesterday, I watched a baseball game in which a pitcher threw a sinker on a 1-2 count with a runner in scoring position during a close game and he got a strikeout. Knowing the small details of the game makes it much more enjoyable to me than it would be if I had no idea what pitch the pitcher threw or why he threw it in that situation. And it I didn't know the details, the pitcher and catcher would look like they were just playing catch.

Years ago, I went to see a concert and was blown away by the band's live performance. Part of the reason was because I knew a little about the band and I knew that a couple of the members were on a spiritual journey, as I was, and many of their lyrics, coupled with their passion, made for a magical evening of music.

But it seems to me that the only way you can ever get to the point of understanding the details is to start with a blur. You start watching baseball at a young age because your uncle does, or you start following a band because you really liked their mega-hit. As you continue the journey, the details become less muddied as you hear, learn, and digest new terms.

Eventually something clicks. You've been hearing about the way a two-seam fastball moves, but one day you finally see it for yourself and it makes all the sense in the world. So you start to read more about the subject and you learn more details. At the point, the details become the essence of your experience and you can't seem to get enough of them.

I love it when that happens.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...