I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Marcel Proust: On Second Best

A couple of weeks ago, I watched a television interview with novelist Jeffrey Archer. During the interview, he quoted Marcel Proust (a french author who lived from 1871-1922) as saying: "Most of us end up doing what we are second best at."

I don't know if what Proust said is true or not, but what he said does intrigue me.

Does it mean that we chase the thing we are best at, but get another offer along the way that is close enough to the real thing to make us think we are involved in the activity we love, so we accept it? Does it mean that we don't actually enjoy the thing we are best at once we've had time to explore it, so we search for a variation of it? Or does it mean that none of us are ever really happy with what we do because we always believe we are supposed to be doing something else?

Maybe it's a combination. I don't know.

What do you think?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...