I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Joseph Hall: Elvis Impersonator

If you are receiving this post via Feedblitz, you may want to click the link to read this post at the blog so you can see the video clips I've included.

Speaking of Elvis, there's an Elvis impersonator who lives in Lincoln, Nebraska, which is just about 60 miles from here I live. He's 23 years old and his name is Joe Hall. You may have seen him on the television show America's Got Talent. He really is an incredible talent. Here's a clip from the NBC website showing him impersonating a young version of Elvis:


My local newspaper did a story about him a couple of days ago. He has aspirations of either becoming an actor or a singer who performs his own music. He's surprisingly, but wisely, concerned about losing his identity while impersonating someone else though. During a recent concert, someone in the crowd asked him about Sharon Osbourne (one of the judges on America's Got Talent) and Hall said this:
"There are so many secrets about Hollywood," he replied. "I signed my life away."

The audience -- unaware of the potential irony of his joke -- roared. Hall knows a contract means TV time and perhaps even fame, but he could lose himself in an unreal world.

He's willing to risk it -- he can count on his family to keep him grounded. He has big dreams that don't include Elvis -- acting or recording non-Presley tunes.
I can't imagine having the presence of mind that Hall does at the age of 23. It's impressive to see him counting on his family to keep him grounded. But I wonder if he hasn't tapped into a universal problem--one that exists beyond the stage. Whenever we pretend to be someone we are not, we risk losing ourselves.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...