I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Interesting

A few weeks ago I wrote about the misuse of the word "just." The misuse of another word has been driving me crazy lately. It's the word "interesting." Whether it is used as an adjective (meaning "arousing or holding the attention") or as a verb, (meaning "engage the interest of") I can't find evidence that the word has any negative connotation whatsoever.

Yet, how often you do hear people misuse the word in a debate? They say things like, "I find it interesting that he has always been against ____________, but now he seems to have changed his mind." He doesn't really consider this change of heart "interesting." He either considers it a "flip flop," or maybe even "deceitful" if done for political reasons, but not "interesting." People probably intentionally misuse the word in a debate format because they want those listening to draw their own conclusions. It seems to be a polite way to point out an inconsistency. I'm all for polite, but why not just ask a direct question without a harsh or biting tone?

People misuse the word "interesting" in social gatherings as well. One friend tells another friend about something he's read, or saw, or experienced and the other friend, who doesn't share the same passion for the topic, says, "Hmm. Interesting." What he really means is, "Hmm. I have no idea what to say, but I need to respond, and I don't want to be rude, so I'll say it's interesting and hopefully you won't ask me if I really find it interesting." Why not just stay engaged with eye contact and then nod to indicate that you are still listening?

Like I said in my post about the word "just," I'm probably too picky about such things, but doesn't this type of misuse of words empty or alter their meaning?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...