I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

A New Mexico Excursion in Madrid

The writers conference in New Mexico I've been teaching at came to an end this afternoon. Ron Benson and I decided to take the scenic route to Albuquerque--where I eventually dropped him off to catch his plane.

We took Highway 14 (which is part of the Turquoise Trail) that runs from Santa Fe to Albuquerque with stops in Madrid (the place where the movie Wild Hogs was filmed) and Sandia Park along the way. Madrid, population 300, is a town unlike any I've ever visited. I did a little research and found it listed on Hippy.com. The main stretch of town is comprised mostly of art galleries. And according to this article, it's a town that attracts artists and free-thinkers.

My friend and I were hoping to eat at Maggie's Diner in Madrid since it was part of the Wild Hogs movie set, but we got a bit of surprise when we got there. The restaurant was closed. And best I can tell from this website, it was never really open for business as a restaurant. Here's a photo I snapped standing outside the place:

With Maggie's Diner out of the realm of possibilities for lunch, we tried The Mine Shaft Tavern. We got there too early though and it wasn't open yet. We decided to stray back onto Highway 14 and see what we could find further down the road. As we wound our way around mile after mile of stunning mountain scenery, we eventually stumbled upon Kokopelli's Restaurant and Kantina in Sandia Park. Snapped this photo inside:

Check out the view of this home from the parking lot of Kokopelli's:

We enjoyed a good New Mexican meal there and before we knew it, our little excursion was over. I dropped Ron off at the airport and hit the interstate for home. I stopped for the evening in Amarillo, Texas and I'll be on the road all day tomorrow as I make my way back to Nebraska.

Sitting in my hotel room tonight, I had a small revelation. I'm often dreaming about doing things on a big scale (see my recent post about Route 66). Unfortunately, the big scale isn't always possible, but that shouldn't stop me from doing things on a smaller scale like Ron and I did this afternoon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...