I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, October 27, 2008

This American Life

I slept in today, even though I knew I had a long road trip to make. I didn't get a lot of sleep at the conference, but that's okay. I expect that. So I slept until almost 9:00 this morning, which means I didn't get out of Amarillo until 10:00 AM. I got to Topeka around 8:00 PM and decided to spend another night in a hotel. That's where I am now. I'll have an easy three hour drive to Omaha tomorrow.

During my travels today I enjoyed a podcast I downloaded called This American Life--a series that runs on PBS radio in Chicago. It used Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People as a jumping off point for talking about the way we interact with each other. This is the first episode I've ever listened to and I really enjoyed it. The show used audio clips of speakers telling stories and it used a couple of dramatizations--all based upon the topic of social interaction. Good stuff.

Looking at the list of favorite shows of all time on their website, this could be an addictive program for me. One episode explores "what makes the perfect break-up song and whether really sad music can actually make you feel better." Another describes America as "a nation with fake Oval Offices, fake ethnic restaurants, fake colonial towns, and more."

I'm downloading more episodes of the show as I write this for my drive home tomorrow morning.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...