I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Comedic Doctor Appointment

I had a doctor appointment this morning. I always bring a book when I go because I know I'm going to have to wait to get into his office, and then I'm going to have to wait for him to come into his office once I'm there. So, on my way out the door I grabbed the novel I was reading. A few minutes later, as I went to check in, I put the novel and the rest of my stuff up on the countertop while I reached for my insurance card.

One of the clerks looked at me and said, "I hope that's a novel, and I hope it's a comedy." She'd seen the spine of the book, and I have to admit that the title does seem a little suspect. It's called How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie Debartolo. And yes it's a novel. I can't really say it's a comedy (unless you use the word in old literary terms), but I told the clerk it was so that she wouldn't call the police on me. I'm just kidding, but hey, you never know.

So, hoping that I've convinced the clerk that I'm not a crazy person who is reading a manifesto about how to kill a rock star, I took my seat in the waiting room and absentmindedly set my novel and other stuff down on the chair next to me while I checked my email on my Blackberry. A minute later, I notice a rather wide-eyed look on a woman's face who is sitting across from me. She was looking at the novel.

So, at this point, I'm fairly certain that the police are going to show up before I ever get out of the doctor's office. I'm already thinking about how funny it will be when I show them a novel rather than an instruction book, but at the same time, I'm hoping it doesn't actually happen.

It didn't. Thankfully.

But this did prove one thing to me...people definitely notice what other people are reading.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...