I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Building on Ruins

A couple of years ago, I wrote a post about about something Elie Wiesel said in the preface of his book, Night—his firsthand account about surviving Auschwitz and Buchenwald. It was one of the most difficult books I’ve ever read. I don’t think I’ll ever forget it.

Yesterday, I read in the USA Today that Wiesel’s foundation has been swindled out of nearly all of its assets. You’d like to ask, How could a person do such a thing? But in light of what Wiesel endured in concentration camps, it hardly seems like a question that needs to be asked.

It’s just heartbreaking to hear about. But his response after his foundation was swindled brought a tear to my eye. Here’s what he said: “All my life has been about learning and teaching and building on ruins. That will not change.”

How different might our world look if more of us built on our own ruins?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...