I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, June 28, 2010

#91 Calendars

Continuing with the 100 life-enriching little nuances series…

As much as I love technology, I don’t think there will ever be a time in which I don’t have a paper calendar hanging on my wall.

They aren’t all they necessary any more – given how easy it is to pull up a calendar on a smart phone, but there’s nothing like looking up at a calendar that has a full page photo of the season you are currently experiencing.

Nostalgic calendars are my favorite. A few years ago, I had a nostalgic calendar in my office that had photos of the American Flag being flowing in various places – from the sides of barns, to little country villas, to parades. Every month as I flipped the page, I wanted to crawl inside the picture and visit the person who was flying the flag to listen to his or her story.

In typical guy fashion, I’ve had tons of sports calendars over the years. Last year, somebody gave me a huge NASCAR calendar. It contained the birthdates of various drivers and some great photos. Although, it’s not quite as enjoyable when you flip it to a photo of a driver you aren’t crazy about.

A couple of years ago, I picked up a nostalgic car calendar from the shop that changes my oil. It contained drawings of old cars in their natural surroundings. One month had a drawing of an old pickup truck parked by a barn with a hound dog sitting on the hood.

This year, I picked up a Psalms calendar. For June, it quotes Psalm 17:7, “Show the wonder of your great love …” and it shows a waterfall. To me, it’s a symbol of the way God pours out his grace on us. It’s so vast, and quick, we miss most of it. But when we stop to ponder it, we get a glimpse of it’s enormity.

How about you? What has been the theme of your favorite calendar over the years and why?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...