I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Esther Vergeer's Night to Shine

The opening night ceremonies for the US Open tennis tournament tonight included stories about tennis players who have overcome obstacles and adversity. One of those athletes is somebody I’ve been reading about lately. Her name is Esther Vergeer.

She’s been wheelchair bound since she was 8. She’s 29 now. She picked up a tennis racket at the age of 12 and took to the sport. She competes against other wheelchair players all around the world and is on an incredible 391 match winning streak. She hasn’t lost since 2003. Her career record is 599-25.

Beyond her incredible won-loss record and her stunning winning streak, I think I’m most impressed by her desire to see other wheelchair players do well. In an interview with the BBC a couple of years ago, she said this:

“I have several sponsors and that’s how I earn my money. The prize money on the ITF Tour is not that big. The winner’s cheque for a Grand Slam is usually between $1500 and $2000.

“Sometimes I feel guilty because I feel like I steal the sponsors away from the other wheelchair tennis players in Holland.”

Here’s to hoping that the attention she is getting for her winning streak will lead to more sponsorship money for her and wheelchair tennis in general.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...