I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Just

I'm not super picky about language. I probably should be since the proper use of words is vital for clear communication and since I am a writer, but I realize that most people have no desire to be wordsmiths. They just want to say or write whatever is on their heart and allow the emotion behind the words to do the talking. I do it myself, so I can't be too hard on anybody else. But the misuse of one particular word has been driving me crazy lately.

I'm talking about the word "just"—not when it is used as an adjective (meaning "upright") but instead when it is used as an adverb (meaning "and nothing more"). Generally speaking, adverbs are an indication of weak writing. Verbs rarely need to be modified when the correct verb is used. But don't worry, this isn't a grammar lesson and any semblance of one stops here.

Here's what is bugging me. People use the word "just" to soften the blow and every time I hear the word in such a fashion I'm suspicious. For example, you ask a co-worker if he or she said something negative about you and you hear, "I was just having a little fun," or "It was just a joke," or "I just meant…." Technically, your co-worker is using the word properly, but why not say "I didn't mean any harm"? It's clearer and sounds less conniving.

Here's another example that drives me nuts. When people pray corporately and say things like, "And God, I just pray that…" Are they purposely asking God to limit his answer or are they trying to convey conviction? If it's the latter, why not just cut out the word "just" and say what they really mean?

Okay, maybe I am picky.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...