I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

100 Miles of Music: Mile 5.33

A picture of the trash / check stub/ check,
which has been doctored to remove the
account number
It looked like a piece of trash on my first lap.

It looked like a check stub on my second lap.

It looked like a check on my third lap.

I picked it up on my fourth lap and discovered it was a $200.00 check a woman named Kim wrote to a local vendor. The vendor cashed it and I’m guessing the bank returned the check to her. Apparently, after she disposed of it, either a dog got into her trash or someone stole it out of her trash can.

Should I put it in an envelope and mail it back to her with a brief note about where I found it or should I destroy it? If I send it back, she might be freaked out and accuse me of stealing it. If I destroy it, she might never know about the possible risk the check posed while lying in the park about a foot away from the walking track.

I decided to return the check to her. We’ll see what happens.

You never know what you are going to see when you walk. You also never know which songs are going to show up when you hit shuffle on your iPod while you are taking the walk.

Here’s the list of songs that showed up on mine Friday:

Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift. I like Taylor Swift. Don’t judge me.

When Am I Gonna Get Over You by LeAnn Rimes. I had no idea how many breakup songs I had on my iPod until I began this series.

I Don’t Want to Wait by Paula Cole. A song about seizing the moment. This one needs to stay in my rotation.

Fire and Rain by Badlands. Six years ago I wrote a paragraph about Badlands performing this old James Taylor cover live that I’ll repeat here. Read the entire post for the context:
The hair on the back of my neck stood on end as [Ray] Gillen sang the following lyrics with more passion than I’ve heard before or since from any performer, “Won’t look down upon me Jesus, You’ve got to help me make a stand. I just can’t make it through another day...” Standing in the middle of a bar, listening to a band most Christians have never heard of, I felt closer to God than I’d ever felt before.
Since I wrote that post, someone uploaded this video of Badlands performing this song in 1990. The sound isn’t great, but seeing it still made the hair on the back of my neck stand up:



Blessed be the Lord God Almighty by Various Artists. As I said in a previous post, you really need to be outside to fully experience a worship song.

Five Feet High and Rising by Johnny Cash. A beautiful song about God using adversity in our lives. You know that standard Johnny Cash guitar riff? It provides a perfect rhythm for walking. Give it a try. 

I Love You This Big by Scotty McCreery. Not my favorite song on his debut album, but it was his first single – the one that got him going. So, it’s fitting to be listening to it at the beginning of my 100 mile walking goal.

The Story of Us by Taylor Swift. I like Taylor Swift. Don’t judge me.

Distance walked: 1.44 miles
Total distance since August 7: 5.33 miles
Goal = 100 miles by December 31

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...