I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Extracted Little Nuances

A friend sent me a nice e-mail the other day telling me that she enjoyed the post I wrote about the novel I’m currently reading called Independence Day. She also said that she’d never seen a book review before the reviewer was done reading. I responded by telling her that I don't really do book reviews on this blog. Instead I extract "little nuances" (brief excerpts) from books and I use them as jumping off points for discussion because they speak to me in some fashion, or because they help me to see something more clearly, or because they make a point that I've been thinking about for a while.

I tend to read a lot of literary fiction and it’s always full of protagonists who spend most of their time in self-reflection. I love these types of books because it’s like sitting down with a good friend and getting the straight, unfiltered truth from him or her about the motivation behind all of his or her thoughts, words, and deeds. That always causes me to examine my own motivations. It’s a wonderful give and take and sometimes I feel like I need to write a post about it.

I do the same thing with lyrics, and movies, and articles. Anytime I read or hear something that captures a small part of humanity, I like to bring it here for you to experience. I might miss badly sometimes and bore you to death. Other times, you might nod your head in agreement or shake your head in disagreement before you move on to the next task on your schedule. But hopefully, once in a great while, you’ll be as challenged or moved or inspired as I was.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...