I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Alternate Routes

I'm the type of person who normally just likes to get to where I'm going as quickly as possible. But a week or so ago, I was driving home from somewhere and as I got close to the road I needed to turn onto to get home, I couldn't get over because the traffic was so heavy. I took an alternative route and ended up passing by my former grade school that is now an apartment building. It's a big red brick building and as I passed it, I was reminded of the many summer days I spent behind the building knocking a tennis ball off the back wall. I hadn't thought about those days in years.

A few days later, as I was coming home, I decided to take yet another alternative route into my neighborhood. I passed several houses that some of my old school buddies used to call home. I wondered what and how they were doing. Since then, I've continued to take alternative routes home. I'm driving by intersections where I used to stand in the freezing cold when I was a safety patrol. And I'm driving by old parking lots that I used to ride my bike on. I even drove down a brick road the other day that I haven't been on in more than ten years.

Taking alternative routes is always going to have to be a planned thing for me. But now that I am actually doing it, I'm enjoying it more than I ever imagined.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...