I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Junk Drawers

Are junk drawers still in vogue? Or did they go out of style with 80s hairstyles? Maybe they never were in vogue for non-pack rat types. I, on the other hand, can never remember a time when my household didn't have one. You never know when you might need something you've stored there.

Just to prove that I wasn't crazy for having one, I did a little searching online and found a blog named The Junk Drawer which I think is just a metaphor for a place in which the author of the blog records the proverbial junk from her life, which is a cool concept in my opinion. I found a college newspaper column called Junk Drawer. I found one blogger who was frustrated with her junk drawer. And I even found junk drawer organizers.

My question is, if I organized my junk drawer, how would I find anything in it?

Here's a snapshot of my junk drawer:

You never know when you are going to need a water bed kit to drain or refill your waterbed. But I no longer have a water bed. Or you never know when you might need a blank cassette tape to record your favorite song. But I stopped listening to and using cassettes nearly a decade ago. You never know when you might need a stray baseball card to complete your collection. But I haven't collected baseball cards in probably 25 years.

But wait, I see a pill box in there, and while I'm not really taking any medication right now, you never know when you might need a good pill box. And what about the thumb tacks? I don't have a bulletin board, but they might come in handy some day, don't you think? How about the light blue pill shooter I bought at the veterinarian's office as a way of getting Midnight to take her medicine? Well, I'll probably never use that again, given that Midnight spit the pill out as quickly as the pill shooter deposited it in her mouth. But I also see playing cards, golf tees, a fishing knife, a bobber, and a big tangled up mess of wire things. I could need any of those objects tomorrow.

On a personal note, if know me personally, and if you see anything you've bought me over the years as a gift that is mixed among the contents of my junk drawer, do not be offended. The fact that your artifact made it to the junk drawer means it'll be in my possession forever.

Seriously.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...