I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A Civil War Letter

The struggles that you and I currently face are quite similar to the struggles that people have always faced. I was reminded of this again recently when I read an old letter online that was written by a Confederate soldier named James Parrott. It was one of many letters Parrott wrote to his wife during the war. But I was especially moved by the letter he wrote to her on September 10, 1864. Here is an excerpt (the spelling is left intact—somebody added brackets to help when necessary):

Dear wife I shuder to think of your trubles when your little children is a sleep you are awake. I am in this wear [war] I don't know when I can get out of it. You had rather have me a brave man than for me to be a coward. Wife you do not want me to run resks [risks] of coming home and take [protection in the wild]. I could rite a grate deal more but I am not allowed to so I must close buy saying I remain your husban until death. Good buy for this time. Lety I want you to rite to me and tell me who is your sweatheart.

According to the website this letter appears on, the South knew they were losing the war at the time Parrott wrote this letter. The South surrendered the following April. Can’t you just feel Parrott’s internal conflict? He had no plans to desert the cause, but he ached to see his family. Knowing he couldn’t see them, the one thing he needed most was for his wife to to tell him that he is her sweetheart. He had to know that his life mattered to her. He had to know that he was missed. He had to know that he was loved. Knowing all of that would make his duty bearable.

Sort of makes you want to pick up the phone and tell your beloved that he or she is your sweetheart, doesn’t it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...