I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, June 01, 2009

The Origin of Woot

The first time I saw the word “woot,” I thought it was a typo. Then I saw it again, and again. Stuff like this reminds me of how uncool I am. Today, I heard the term again, so I googled it and here’s what Urban Dictionary says:

“w00t” was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for “Wow, loot!” Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.

[I might not know what woot means, but I do know that “truncated” is misspelled and that the article preceding it should be “a,” not “an.”]

So, it’s a new term for excitement. I pretty much figured that out from the context in which people generally use it. But I’m not a woot person. I think I’ll stick with “Wow!” instead.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...