I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Unused Gift Cards

Amex points means free $50 gift cards!
(Photo: diaper -- no I'm not kidding)
I drove by Honda Cycles of Omaha the other day and I couldn't make eye contact with the place. I felt too guilty. In fact, I try to not even glance in its direction.

The building used to be the home of a ski shop and years ago a friend bought me a $10.00 gift certificate to use there. I never got around to it and now the business is gone. They took my friend's $10.00 and ran. I always hoped my friend wouldn't ask me what I got with the gift certificate because I'd have to admit I never used it. Thankfully, she didn't. Now I'm hoping she doesn't read this post.

As I pushed my guilt behind me and drove by the Honda building, I wondered how many gift cards go unredeemed each year. If I am guilty, then I know others are too.

A recent blog post on the Time magazine website says:
According to one study from not that long ago, some $6.8 billion worth of gift cards goes unused annually. In another survey, 27% of Americans said they still had gift cards they'd received last year but hadn't yet used.
A 2007 article in the NY Times says:
The financial-services research firm TowerGroup estimates that of the $80 billion spent on gift cards in 2006, roughly $8 billion will never be redeemed — “a bigger impact on consumers,” Tower notes, “than the combined total of both debit- and credit-card fraud.” A survey by Marketing Workshop Inc. found that only 30 percent of recipients use a gift card within a month of receiving it, while Consumer Reports estimates that 19 percent of the people who received a gift card in 2005 never used it.
So, between $6.8 and $8 billion worth of gift cards go unused each year and between 19% and 27% of people who received a gift card either never used it or never got around to using it a year later. Those numbers seem staggering to me, but I bet more people use gift cards than the gifts they receive at Christmas. I could be wrong.

But all of this non-use does make me wonder if the time and money we spend chasing gifts for one another at Christmas could be used more wisely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...