I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Birthday Reflections

My niece doesn't have to look all that
hard anymore to find my gray hair
“There’s one. There’s one. There’s one. There’s one. There’s one.” On and on it would go as my oldest niece, who was probably eight years old at the time, pointed out my growing number of gray hairs.

“I only have two or three – you’re just making that up.”

And she would start counting all over again.

I miss those days.

Now I have hundreds of gray hairs. I even have gray whiskers.

I turned 46 yesterday. That’s 14 years from 60 and 24 years from 70.

Life is short, isn’t it?

One of the things I’ve learned over the years is to read between the lines. People aren’t always direct. In fact, we are rarely direct with one another. That’s probably a good thing in most cases.

Over the past few days, this blog has lost a couple of subscribers and nobody has left a single comment regarding my walking posts. I’m not lamenting either fact. In fact, I’m reading between the lines that you aren’t all that interested in hearing about the music I’m listening to on my daily walks. So, I’ll stop with those posts. But if I see something interesting along the way, I’ll be sure to blog about it.

Something else I have learned is to be prepared. I recently visited the bank to review my safety deposit box. I pulled out my life insurance policy, property deeds, birth and death certificates of family members, and various other paperwork to review it. That led to me updating my records and then putting them back into the safety deposit box.

Finally, I’ve learned that I need to operate somewhere between the stone age and the most current technology available. I tried to move away from my Moleskine notebook this summer, using an app on my phone to take its place to keep track of my life. It just didn’t work. If I can’t see everything all at once, I can’t process it. So, I’m back to carrying around a Moleskine and my smartphone. It might look ridiculous, but that’s okay with me.

I am getting old after all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...