I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

From the Mouth of Babes

With more snow on the way overnight, I decided to hit the grocery store during my lunch break yesterday. As I turned the corner to the pet food aisle, a little girl, who was maybe three years-old with cute dark curly hair, was attempting to hold onto four small cans of cat food without dropping them everywhere.

As she made her way toward her parents, she said, "This will last foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever." Then, just a few seconds later, she said, "This will last four days!" As if forever and four days were synonymous. In her mind, they probably were--especially given the fact that she's only been alive for approximately 1,000 days.

How could I not laugh about such innocence as I grabbed six cans of cat food for my own cat, wishing that it really would last forever? Perspective fascinates me. And it's one of the many things that make other people so interesting to talk to and observe. To some degree, we're all like that little girl. Oh, our perspective has more experience to call upon, but in the big scheme of things, our perspective is still greatly limited.

We don't know when we will breathe our last breath, or when we'll fall in love, or even when our car will break down (again). But we plan, and dream, and make decisions based upon what we do know. And I can't help but wonder if God doesn't smile the way I smiled because of that little girl's perspective.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...