I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Knowing Where to Start

I started reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby over the weekend. Early in the book, one of the characters (a former television talk show host)  is contemplating many of the mistakes he made in his life. He makes this internal observation:

One thing I know from interviewing people on the show is that you can reduce the most enormous topics down to the tiniest parts, as if life were an Airfix model. I’ve heard a religious leader attribute his faith to a faulty catch on a garden shed (he got locked in for a night when he was a kid, and God guided him through the darkness); I’ve heard a hostage describe how he survived because one of his captors was fascinated by the London Zoo family discount card he kept in his wallet. You want to talk about bad things, but it’s the catches on the garden sheds and the London Zoo cards that give you the footholds; without them you wouldn’t know where to start.

So much in life hinges on the little things, doesn’t it?

One of the things I love about that is my belief that God is intimately involved in the minutia of life. And knowing that he is using one small thing or another to bring about his purposes is exciting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...