I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Monday, October 05, 2009

A Busy Weekend

PictureThe past several days have been extremely busy, but fun. I taught a workshop on Friday morning at a history fare about how to write an essay and early Saturday morning headed for Kansas City to spend the weekend interviewing a couple of NASCAR drivers and a crew chief for a publication I work for (here’s a photo of me interviewing 2000 Sprint Cup champion Bobby Labonte on Saturday). By the time I got home last night, I was wiped out. I slept ten hours and don’t have any plans to do much today.

Everything you’ve probably ever heard about a sportswriter’s life is probably true. You are often the first people to arrive at an event and the last to leave. The food is generally subpar. You spend more time standing and waiting for the perfect interview than you do anything else. You never know for sure how much time you are going to get with the subject once you start the interview. And you always think of the perfect question ten minutes after the interview is done. After the day is over, it’s on to the hotel and you never know what you’re going to get when you walk in. My standards aren’t too high though—I’m usually quite happy when I find out that the clerk actually has my reservation.

This particular weekend had elements of all of those things, and that’s okay, because in the end I get to tell the stories of three guys who are living out their faith in pressure packed situations.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...