I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Friendly Environment

Recently, Borders announced that it was offering free Wi-Fi to its customers, prompting many of us who frequent the place to ask, “What in the world took you so long?” Borders has always had the feel of a place that should have free Wi-Fi service. You order a cup of your favorite poison, you grab a table or a nice comfy chair, and you hang out with friends while you discuss your week. All of that says, “Sit here a while, enjoy yourself.” The fact that they don’t have sockets to plug your laptop into says, “Stick around for about an hour and a half, and then move along.”

Panera Bread, on the other hand, has a similar atmosphere to Borders, but better. Not only do they have sockets for your laptop, but the place is always filled with the aroma of fresh bread that teases your nostrils. And it has a fake fireplace, which, even though it’s fake, adds something to the effect, especially during the fall and winter. The background music, usually jazz of some sort, is noticeable, but not too loud. Panera does everything it possibly can to create an environment you want to hang out it. It can’t do much about the loud talker on the cell phone next to you, but you can’t have everything you want.

I’ve been thinking that my house ought to be like Panera Bread. It ought to be an environment that friends and family want to hang out it. Instead, it’s mostly a scrapbook of the activities I’ve participated in over the past couple of weeks. I want to change that.

I have a friend who has a man cave. He keeps it colder than most caves, but I don’t mind that. It’s always nice a clean and usually decorated with NASCAR and football paraphernalia. In the fall, he has a fake fireplace prominently displayed by his TV. I love that thing. It sort of gives his man cave the feel of a cabin. At Christmas, he puts up a tree. I’m pretty sure it’s the most inviting man cave around because my friend takes the time to create a friendly, welcoming atmosphere.

So, I have some work to do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...