I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Where's the Love?

Ivo Karlovic played an unbelievable match at the U.S. Open this afternoon and he lost 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 to Andre Agassi—who is still playing at a ridiculously high level. Karlovic is 6' 10" and he just crushes the ball on his serves. The rest of his game is a little lacking, but he's fun to watch.

If he had won today, we could have had an awkward situation. Players who win the premiere matches are interviewed on television and everybody in the stands can hear it as well. Problem is, Karlovic has a stuttering problem and he doesn't do interviews. He doesn't even openly question line calls even when he probably should. He's highly sensitive about his speech problem and you've really got to feel for the guy.

I can relate. I've had a weight problem most of my life and I know what it feels like to be made fun of, or worse, to be snickered at. I suspect we all have a hang up of some sort. Some hang ups are just more noticeable than others.

I know it's never going to happen, but wouldn't it be nice if people like Karlovic could just live his life and be accepted for who he is?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...