I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Homecoming

My niece's homecoming dance was this past Saturday. During such events, she knows that I'm going to show up beforehand to take pictures. A lot of pictures. She called me when she started getting ready and asked me if I could bring some super glue. I told her I thought I might have some. I checked, but couldn't find any (that wasn't older than she is) and figured I'd just stop at the gas station by her house and pay the $42.50 it would surely cost to pick some up. I needed gas anyway and I was in a bit of a hurry because I had planned to meet friends after I was done taking pictures.

I got to the gas station and I couldn't find any super glue. I asked a store clerk if they carried it and another clerk told me that a woman bought their final three tubes the day before. I couldn't imagine what would lead to such a run on super glue. A man and a woman overheard me talking to the clerk and told me that they just bought two tubes at Walmart and that I could have one of them. 

As I walked to their car with them, I told them that it was for my niece. She needed it for homecoming for some reason. The woman immediately said, "She needs it for her nails." Ah, that made sense. I offered to pay them for the super glue, but they wouldn't take any money for it. They were just glad to help.

When I got to my niece's house, I handed her the super glue and told her about the two nice people I met at the gas station. (The woman was right--the glue was for my niece's nails.) I snapped a few pictures, told her she looked nice, and then left the camera with her to take more pictures while she was at the dance. As I drove home, I was surprised by how moved I was by two strangers who were willing to help another stranger with a small need.

Technorati tags:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...