I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday Tidbits

I've had a rather eventful week--most of it good, some of it funny.

I got a text message from a friend the other night saying, "Haven't heard from you yet. Why is that?" To which I replied, "What do you mean?" Turns out that my name is right next to his son's name in his new smart phone and I got the text that was intended for his son around curfew time. For a minute, I felt like I was being called to the principal's office.

My cell phone rang on Wednesday morning and I didn't recognize the number of the person who was calling. I picked it up and heard a familiar voice. It was one of my high school buddies who is currently serving in Iraq. The wonders of modern technology! This is the second time he's called me from there. Obviously, he can't tell me much about his own life, but he was especially interested in how things were going back home, so I filled him in as best I could, and told him that I can't wait for him to come home so we can grab a steak together. Sounds like it could happen soon.

I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about the passing of William F. Buckley Jr. I've noticed something rather odd since his death--the bookstores I've visited are carrying extremely limited numbers of his offerings on the shelves. I'm not into conspiracies, so I'm not even suggesting that. But when an author dies, his or her words become finite, and as a consequence, maybe more valuable. And it seems to me that more people are interested in an author's work after he or she dies, so why not make Buckley's work available in mass--at least for another couple of months? Yeah, I could order it from Amazon.com, and I certainly order my fair share of books online, but I still prefer to buy books from local bookstores whenever possible.

I told you last week that my car was on her last wheels. Thankfully she didn't give out on me this week and I was able to get her to a dealership to take advantage of an ad one of my friends saw in the newspaper. I ended up leasing a new car for less money than I would have dreamed possible and I couldn't be happier about it. It even has a jack for my iPod.

Have a great weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...