I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Internet Radio

Internet radio has been around for for ions--at least in Internet years. I have been online since 1994. A few years later, I started running across internet radio stations. Most of their content was fine, but dial up connections simply wouldn't allow you to enjoy the music because it was so choppy.

Things are so much different now with a broadband connection. Now I listen to some of my favorite local radio stations online. It's easier and more convenient.

A week or so ago I looked into Blip.FM--a free service that allows you to create your own internet radio station of sorts. You pick the songs you want to hear and presto (when is the last time you heard that word?), you have a station. You can even tweet about the music you are listening to right from the Blip.FM website. I don't have any real problems with the functionality of the website, but best I can tell, it doesn't suggest similar artists, which sort of is the main point of using internet radio for me.

Yesterday I look gave Pandora a try and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I created a station called "Real Life Radio," and loaded it with Over the Rhine, Gavin DeGraw, Dar Williams, and Journey. Before long it was playing not only those artists, but similar artists. It allows me to push a thumbs up or thumbs down button and that trains the station about what to play in the future. Last night, I heard a John Mayer song called "In Your Atmosphere" and I really liked it. I don't own any of his music, but I can see giving it a shot at some point in the future. The service has a Twitter and Facebook option, which is important too.

Have you given internet radio a try? If so, what are your thoughts? For me, it's a great way to find new music.

UPDATE: I probably should have mentioned that I'll be appearing on an internet radio show called "Communicating with Power" this afternoon from 1:30-2:30 pm (CST) to talk about Christmas traditions.We'll be giving away quite a few books too. The show will be archived if you miss it, but you have to be listening live to win a book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...