I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Board Game Night

Imagine playing some new version of Pictionary (called "Electronic Pictionary Man Game") and being asked to draw Lindsay Lohan. Or playing another game in which you try to get your teammates to guess the name of a song that came out before they were even born. Or yet another game in which you have to guess which personality trait best describes another player.

Actually, all three scenarios occurred last night when my small group from church got together for a board game night.

We had a blast.

I had no idea how to draw Lindsay Lohan and it's safe to say that my teammates would agree.

We didn't get that point.

I chuckled when I had to try get them to name the song "Convoy" by C.W. McCall. I had this album when I was a kid and loved it. But how do you describe the song to people who may have never heard it before? The only thing I could come up with initially was to mention a few of the the lyrics.

"Breaker 1-9, this here's the Rubber Duck," I said in my best CB voice to people who weren't event born when this song came out. I eventually came to my senses and asked, "What is it called when semi-trucks line up in a row on the road?"



We got that point.

The personality trait game was hilarious. I can't remember what it was actually called, but at one point, three people in the group described my personality as "glee" which probably couldn't be further from the truth.

All of this reminded me of another game night I enjoyed a couple of years ago with different people. I still hold a grudge about one of my answers not being allowed. So I brought it up for the court of opinion last night and I got a sympathetic vote or two.

Here's the scenario. We were playing Scattergories and we had to come up with words that start with the letter "P." One of the topics was "Something you'd find in a souvenir shop," so, naturally, I wrote "pickles." Nobody believed me when I said some souvenir shops in the south sell homemade pickles. I've seen it firsthand.

My answer wasn't allowed and I haven't been the same since.

I just googled the phrases "souvenir shops" and "pickles" and I found a souvenir shop in Oklahoma that says, "We sell things ranging from hula hoops, bikinis, bumper stickers to collegiate gear. And homemade pickles when the growing season is good to us!"

That's what I'm talking about. Why didn't I do that from my Blackberry that night?

Anyway, if you haven't played board games with friends for a while, give it a shot. You'll laugh, you'll learn things about each other, and you'll make great memories.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...