I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Orange Fuzzies of Life

As I approached the line, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I was throwing my spare ball in the second frame of the second game. I picked up the spare, miraculously, and looked down into the gutter on the right side of the lane. Sure enough, it was an orange fuzzy. I struck in the third frame and then had to face my nemesis, the dreaded orange fuzzy, again in the fourth frame. I overcame it and got a strike. The rest of the game didn't turn out so well, but I shot a 202 and I'll take that any day.

The guys on my bowling team got a kick out my pointing out the orange fuzzy. I'm known for noticing everything on or around the lane that shouldn't be there. I notice specks of dirt or food on the approach, knots in the wood on the approach and bumper guards that aren't flush like they should be when they aren't deployed. One of my biggest pet peeves is when we get stuck bowling on one of the two end lanes and the curtain that is supposed to cover the back of the facility is left open and I can see boxes and other contraptions as I approach the line.

I don't know why, but I really do notice all of these things and all of them really do bug me, but not as much as I make my team believe. Actually, I know they don't really believe it. We just sort of have fun with it. As soon as I point out a new distraction they all start laughing and telling me they don't see it because they are too busy looking at the spot on the lanes they are trying to hit. I tell them I can see both my spot and the thing that is currently distracting me. And so it continues.

Sure, we talk about all sorts of other things. The orange fuzzies just fill in the gaps. And they create some funny memories.

I went on to shoot a 256 the last game. At one point during the game, one of the guys on my team noted that I had a three-bagger (three strikes in a row) on the orange fuzzy lane. I told him I was overcoming the orange fuzzy. I wasn't going to let it get the best of me.

After we finished bowling, I walked up to the gutter and snapped the photo with my Blackberry that you see in this post. It's not the clearest or best photo, but you can clearly see the orange fuzzy. Actually, I'm color blind, so I'm not sure it's really orange, but it looks orange to me. Whatever color it is, it's legacy will live on.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...