I am no longer blogging here at Little Nuances, but I would love for you to join me on my author website www.leewarren.info.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

All I Ever Get for Christmas is Blue

I don't really get blue at Christmas, but I love the song "All I Ever Get for Christmas is Blue" from the "Snow Angels" CD by Over the Rhine. I love it even more after seeing the video.

There is so much going on in this video (you can watch it below).

You can watch it once simply for the passion. Each member of the band is completely lost in his or her own portion of the song. They don't make eye contact with one another; they don't need to. They aren't making eye contact with the audience; the audience doesn't need it. Karin Bergquist's vocal performance is stellar and intoxicating and sad and hopeful. Linford Detweiler's performance on the piano is inspiring. The guitar work is simplicity at its best. Yes, watch the video once for the passion.

If you need the lyrics, you can find them here. Although the verses don't match the order Bergquist sang them in at this performance.

Watch the video a second time for the message. The song seems to be about someone who knows she is going to be blue at Christmas. She has lost something in her life and she feels the loss most deeply at Christmas while everybody else seems to be enjoying the season. But this year, she has hope in the form of her husband, whom she plans to get lost in. She makes the transition from singing, "All I ever get for Christmas is blue," to "All I really want for Christmas is you."

Then she says, "When you play my song /  Play it slowly / Play it like I’m sad and lonely." There are several assumptions in those lines. He must know her song if he is going to play it. He must know her song's tempo if he is going to slow it down. And he must have put in the time to know what her sad and lonely looks and feels like if he is going to alter the song accordingly.

By the end of the song, she's thanking God that her husband is there with her. A transformation has taken place.

Watch the video a third time, paying special attention to the audience between the 2:45 and 2:50 mark. On the bottom right hand side of the screen you'll see a woman sitting in front of a man. As Karin sings "Maybe you can solve my mystery / Wrap me in your arms and whisper / You miss me," you'll see the man reach out with his right arm and touch the woman. The camera pans away for a couple of seconds and when the couple is in the shot again, you'll see her lean back into the man.

That's the power of music. It has the ability to play a role in the mystery of bringing a man and a woman together.

Enjoy the song on whatever level you choose. I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section afterward.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...